The Club was founded in 1912 as Abbey United, and took the name Cambridge United in 1951. It first competed in the Football League in 1970 and stayed there until relegation in 2005. Football League status was regained in 2014, after nine seasons in the Conference.
The club is based at the Abbey Stadium on Newmarket Road, approximately two miles east of Cambridge city centre. The stadium has a capacity of 8,127, made up of terracing and seated areas.